[Lexicog] Corpus Conundrum #2 Stress and Intonation

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 9 16:55:10 UTC 2007

Corpus Conundrum #2  (Stress and Intonation)

       Stress and intonation – these are two aspects of phonetics
that are given short shrift in dictionaries (other than for single-
word entries). Again, the space-efficiency problem rears its ugly
head, for what lexicographer doesn't always fight with space-
efficiency and publishers' requirements?
       In phrasal analysis (particularly as it relates to semantics)
stress and intonation play a much larger role than single-word
pronunciation. This is true for two reasons.  1) words generally
don't lose their semantic values in their derivatives/inflections
(though they do change in stress or intonation). Otherwise they
become distinct lexemes, warranting separate head words or sub-
entries under their root lexemes.  2) In isolation, words require a
knowledge of stress and intonation. However, in phrasal and sentence
use, much more stress (no pun  intended) is placed on one or two
individual words, not parts of words, and little or no stress on
multisyllabic words. Of course, in English semantics derives also
from word placement (less on inflections than other languages), which
(perhaps (?) puts more stress-emphasis/intonation-emphasis on
particular words, too. I would be happy to get a response on this
point in the post.
       But phrases do change in meaning according to targeted word
stress and intonation. Here I'm talking about created phrases -- not
idiomatic,  proverbial, fixed phrases and expressions. Even by virtue
of what created-phrases are -- two or more uniquely-created,
collocated elements – their meaning include more than one semantic
value. Combined with stress and intonation they have a potential for
great semantic variation. With fixed-phrases this is much less so, as
in the expression/lexeme mentioned here lately "kick the bucket."
Three words in fixed collocation – meaning "die." Certainly the
object of the preposition gets the stress. This is so regardless of
it being uttered in isolation (just as in single words), or in
sentence pattern. A synonym phrase for "kick the bucket" – also
involving an object – "buy the farm" also stresses the object, in
this case "farm." But stress doesn't change in either phrase. And if
their was a change, it would be simply poetic licence.
       This space problem speaks to the value of digital
lexicography, especially in the forms of online reference works,
portable machinery, and electronic paper. With those tools, one can
then simply drill deeper and deeper into main entries to get more
searcher-pertinent information – akin to target-marketing in the
business world.
     The current-era emphases in linguistics (including lexicography)
are phraseology & corpus analysis, and because of this, more
attention to the areas of phonetics (acoustic phonetics) & phrasal
semantics will probably ensue (undoubtedly is ensuing). I don't speak
from experience as to the latest activities and findings here (which
is part of what I'm looking for in responses to this post).

       An example of this point, regarding created-phrase forms, not
fixed, is the simple sentence "I did not say you took her science
book." This nine-word sentence is quite a straightforward example –
there are no punctuation marks. Tense -- simple past tense. Voice –
active voice. Mood – indicative mood. With convoluted, punctuation-
rich, idiomatic/non-literal/allusional prose, the story changes. But
the semanticvariations are obvious, depending on which word is
stressed.

I did not say you took her science book. (someone else said it)
I DID not say you took her science book. (denial)
I did NOT say you took her science book. (strong denial of saying it)
I did not SAY you took her science book. (I (may have) implied it,
not
                                           said it.)
I did not say YOU took her science book. (I wasn't talking about you.)
I did not say you TOOK her science book. (You obtained it by some
other
                                           means. || You did
something
                                           else with it.)
I did not say you took HER science book. (You took someone else's
                                           book.)
I did not say you took her SCIENCE book. (You took another kind of
                                           book.)
I did not say you took her science BOOK. (You took another science
                                           object.)

One more example that includes both stress and intonation variance.
The basic structure is even simpler than the last one, with three
words (two, if you count the abbreviated form as a word). But this
simpler grammar example becomes perhaps a more complex token of
vernacular speech – at least for transcription-based corpora. The
example is "That's fine."

#1 THAT'S fine. -- stress on "THAT'S" || flat intonation on "fine" =
i.e. That's okay./Go right ahead./Don't mention it./No problem. (used
when someone excuses himself for slight bothersome action, or
questioning someone to see if preceding action/choice is acceptable)

#2 THAT'S FINE! -- stress on THAT'S/possible descending tone
on "that's" || stress on "fine"/intensified descending intonation
on "fine" = (strong sarcasm & resignation) i.e. "I strongly dislike
that!" or "This situation is seriously bothersome to me!"

#3 That's FINE! Stress on "fine" || high intonation, with clear
descending intonation also on "fine") = i.e. "Your work/news/product
is good quality." or "I'm happy about what you did/what just
happened."

#4 That's FINE! – low stress/but high initial intonation on "That's"
|| high stress/intensified descending  || = (strong sarcasm & non-
resignation to the fact) i.e. Do it; I'm leaving!" or "If you choose
that, I will do something to counter that or get back at you for that
(leaving, taking other action)

       It is true that variations will occur in these examples,
depending on personal stylistics, region, degree of
sarcasm/intent/etc., but there are patterns that can be detected that
indicate nuances in meaning. Intonation would seem to be a more
refined, nuanced inflector of meaning than the more simply-measured
stress points.
       Perhaps only line-by-line identifying/tagging/contextualizing
of transcribed audio records (including context) are needed. Perhaps
also with written text. Machines alone don't seem sophisticated
enough. The state of the current art relating to stress/intonation
and semantics is another question I had for anyone with experience in
dealing with it.

(Addendum: Rudy, it feels right subsuming "infix" under the general
type "affix" in relation to those "stuck-in lexemes." And fun example
of "a whole `nother." Sorry to hear about McMillan.)

Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com