[Lexicog] Hebrew and Greek Shoebox databases

Cheryl Reitz cheryl.reitz at SHAWCABLE.COM
Sun Jul 29 16:05:38 UTC 2007

Hello Ron, I was intrigued when you mentioned converting your
database to Unicode; maybe you can help me troubleshoot a Unicode
conversion problem.  I am working with a Toolbox database (5000+
entries in Sudanese language, Mabaan, data collected over 30 years by
my neighbour Betty Miller, now 84).  It is now in an SIL font (Mabaan
Sophia) and I want to convert all into Arial MS Unicode font.  There
are several characters in the Vernacular we must search-replace to do
this (they show up as corrupted when we change to Arial MS Unicode).
We know the 4-digit hex-characters we now have and that we want to
convert them to, but we are having difficulties with inputting these
in the Toolbox Search-Replace interface.  Do you have any pointers on
how to do this? Perhaps there is a way to export the Vernacular
fields, convert in Word, then re-import? Sorry, I'm just starting out
on this software and Betty does not know much about it herself.
She's an expert on Mabaan, not computers!  Many, many thanks. Cheryl
Reitz

 --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moe" <ron_moe at ...>
wrote:

> I can send you my dictionary and will gladly do so for free. (I'll
send it
> separately off-line or upload it to a website as Wayne Leman has
suggested.)
> It is a "work in progress," so I make no guarantees of completeness
or
> accuracy. It does have all the words in the NT and a few others. It
has all
> the words in Louw and Nida and all the words in Greenlee's "A New
Testament
> Greek Morpheme Lexicon" which according to the introduction
contains all the
> words in Bauer, Arndt, and Gingrich's "A Greek-English Lexicon of
the New
> Testament and Other Early Christian Literature." My dictionary has
almost no
> semantic information because I was developing it as a basis for
> interlinearizing the NT. For this reason I concentrated on such
things as
> identifying the underlying form of each stem. I've also done a lot
of work
> analyzing derivational morphology. I've included as much
etymological
> information as I could glean from a variety of sources.
>

> Unfortunately when I modified the original Toolbox database in
preparation
> for merging it with Louw and Nida's dictionary and importing it into
> FieldWorks, I made significant modifications to it over a period of
months.
> I'm now trying to find a stable and usable version among the 100 or
so
> backup copies of the database on my hard drive. It will take me a
day or two
> to find or create a good version of it and convert it to unicode. I
was
> using the old Ulysses font, but the newer unicode Galatia font is
much
> better.
>

> The best thing would be to get permission to use my version of Louw
and
> Nida's dictionary, which I have converted to the unicode Galatia
font. It is
> classified according to Louw and Nida's domains, as well as mine.
It has all
> their definitions. It has my grammatical and etymological
information. All
> complex forms are linked to their roots. It is now in both Toolbox
and
> FieldWorks formats. In short it has lots of very nice features. In
the
> process of importing it into FieldWorks we had to break some links,
which I
> am in the process of restoring. But Louw and Nida's dictionary is a
> wonderful tool.
>

> Ron Moe
>

>    _____

Toolbox version
> of Louw and Nida's dictionary that I am working on. (I've also
loaded it
> into FieldWorks.) I'm merging my dictionary with Louw and Nida's to
create a
> more useful version of Louw and Nida. But I can't distribute it
because of
> copyright restrictions. If you got permission from UBS, I could
give you a
> copy.
>

> Ron Moe
>

>    _____

5/2/2007 2:16
> PM

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5/2/2007 2:16
> PM
>

>    _____

> Check out HYPERLINK
> "http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http:/autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.ht
ml;_ylc=
> X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM-
"new
> cars at Yahoo! Autos.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5/2/2007 2:16