[Lexicog] Translations of "El burlador de Sevilla"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 1 13:18:11 UTC 2007

Hayim,

Good discovery! However, if you remember our exchange on this list on
character types with examples from the Bible and world literature, I contend
Don Juan is not the same kind of trickster as, say, Jacob in the Bible or
picaros from world literature.

Molière just has “Dom Juan (Don Juan)” in the title of his comedy “Dom Juan
ou le Festin de pierre”. Don Juan has become such an archetype of a seducer
which has stimulated writers (playwrights, poets, philosophers, novelists
and composers) throughout the centuries (witness Molière, Lord Byron,
Puschkin, Max Frisch, Baudelaire, Kierkegaard, Mozart to name just a few).

Don Juanism has entered the dictionary as a medical term.

Le chaim,*

Fritz

*Have you seen the movie “Don Juan deMarco”, starring Johnny Depp (wannabe
Don Juan) being psychoanalyzed by

 Marlon Brando. In the end both get healed and return to real life.

English translators rarely use the original title, but there is one close to
Spanish title: The trickster of Seville. See the record of Library of
Congress:

The trickster of Seville and the stone guest = El burlador de Sevilla y
el...

LC Control No.:

86225225

Type of Material:

Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)

Personal Name:

Molina,
<http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20070531222233&P
ID=25204&SA=Molina,+Tirso+de,+1571?-1648.>  Tirso de, 1571?-1648.

Uniform Tit! le:

Burlador
<http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Title&SEQ=20070531222233&PI
D=25204&SA=Burlador+de+Sevilla.+English+%26+Spanish>  de Sevilla. English &
Spanish

Main Title:

The trickster of Seville and the stone guest = El burlador de Sevilla y el
convidado de piedra / Tirso de Molina ; translated with an introduction &
commentary by Gwynne Edwards.

Published/Created:

Warminster : Aris & Phillips, c1986.

xliii, 195 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.

ISBN:

0856683000 :

0856683019 (pbk.)

  _____

CALL NUMBER:

PQ6434.B8
<http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=CallNumber&SEQ=200705312222
33&PID=25204&SA=PQ6434.B8>  E5 1986

Gruesse,

Hayim Y. Sheynin

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

I’d be interested in how “burlador” of Tirso de Molina’s play “El burlador
de Sevilla y Convivado de Piedra” has been translated into different
languages. “Burlador” refers to Don Juan. In German I have heard of
translations like “Der Gaukler of Sevilla
” which seems acceptable to me as
long as the accent is put on “swindler.” Another better one in German is
“Der Verführer von Sevilla
” which means “seducer”.  I’m surprized to have
found the French “abuseur”, one of its meanings being “cheat/swindler”, and
not something more direct like “séducteur.” Probably there is a double
entendre in Spanish “burlador” and French “abuseur” which allows for both
interpretations. Correct me. Now Don Juan is the type of what kind of man? I
wouldn’t put into a translation of the title of the original play “The
trickster/crook/scoundrel of Sevilla
”

Fritz Goerling

  _____

Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48252/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearc
h?refer=1ONXIC>  search that gives answers, not web links.