[Lexicog] endangered entries for endangered languages

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at UNLNOTES.UNL.EDU
Tue Jun 5 16:24:22 UTC 2007

Aloha Hayim,

Yes, It goes without saying that the audience and purpose of the
dictionary will shape the level and complexity of entries.

In the Omaha case, we may end up with a master database of everything old,
new, archaic, and unrecognized.

We will probably pull out the current words and phrases for  use as a
teaching/reference for today's classroom on the Rez and here at UNL.

We could even pull out lists of particular linguistic/cultural/activity
domains for targeted levels of competency.

But the key concern is to hold onto everything possible in the master
database.

That is why I rarely throw out salvaged things from my garage and
basement. I may not recognize its value today, but tomorrow might offer
all sorts of useful applications. Sadly, my wife is not so inclined to
such "packrattery" behavior.

Mark
Mark Awakuni-Swetland
http://omahalanguage.unl.edu