[Lexicog] endangered entries for endangered languages

Bill Poser billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 5 18:47:46 UTC 2007

I think that obsolete and/or obscure forms should certainly be
entered into the database. Whether you print them in a particular
edition of the dictionary will depend on its use. A version intended
for scholarly use would include them while a version aimed at beginners
would not.

I include a field that contains information like "archaic" or "disused",
which can be printed and can also be used to control whether the entry
is printed, in the same way that a designation as "vulgar", may, for
example, be used to omit an entry from a children's dictionary.
(This is mostly a matter of political correctness - my experience is that
what the kids know other than really basic stuff like "hello" and "thank you"
is the naughty stuff. But I digress...)

Entering such forms along with information that allows them to be
selected is also useful for re-elicitation. From time to time, especially
if I am working with someone very old or knowledgable about a certain
topic, I make a point of asking about such obscure items.

Bill

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com