[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 8 01:30:40 UTC 2007

I agree with Fritz. At least in French tu/Vous, German du/Sie and English you/Thou/Thee,
  but even in Spanish tu/te/Usted are still heard, even in Spanish like in Latin the personal pronouns used sparingly.

  What is interesting to mention, that in Hebrew instead of polite form in older times was used the 3rd person verb with replacement of the personal pronoun with word adoni (mein Herr, Monseur, my master) or gevirti (meine Frau, Madame, my lady). I remember speaking in Princeton with a Hebrew professor, who emigrated from Frankfurt a. M. in 1923. I was amazed that he used this way of conversation (this was in the 80s). I never heard this way of talk in Israel. However after thinking a little about this subject I understood that this way of speech was supported by the use of German Sie, mein Herr, and meine Frau. After all, German was his native language.

  Hayim Sheynin

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
          I doubt that the distinction between pronouns of "power" and "solidarity"
(to use Brown and Gilman's terms of their famous 1960 article "The Pronouns
of Power and Solidarity") will disappear any time soon in at least a couple
of European languages I know (German and French). If the formal form were
lost, I would regret it. I wonder to what kind of linguistic strategies one
would resort, if a variety of nuances in human relations could not be
expressed by different pronouns any more.
Concerning the use of pronouns in Shakespeare the following sounds
interesting:
Ulrich Busse. 2002. Linguistic Variation in the Shakespeare Corpus:
Morpho-syntactic Variability of Second-Person Pronouns.

Fritz Goerling

Benjamin Barrett wrote:

The explanation I heard of this is that it is due to religious intolerance:

Believing that all are equal under their god, the Friends (Quakers) used
the form "thou" to everyone. With religious intolerance in England,
people avoided using "thou" so they wouldn't be branded a Friend. This
led to the eventual disappearance of the informal form, leaving only
"you" in English today.

Today, European languages with familiar and formal forms of the second
person pronoun are losing the formal form evidently as part of a
democratization process. I believe Spain is particularly progressive on
this front because of the liberal backlash following Franco's death in
1975.

So while it seems Europe will be left without the familiar/formal
dichotomy, the split differs in English in that the formal form remains
while the familiar form will (might) remain in the other European languages.