[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Bruno Maroneze maronezebruno at YAHOO.COM.BR
Fri Jun 8 15:16:09 UTC 2007

Yes, you are right. I forgot to mention the dates: in late nineteenth century novels, the "tu/você" distinction is still largely used, but in popular theatre plays there is more hesitation. Probably by the first decades of the twentieth century the form "tu" was already eliminated from colloquial Portuguese. The plural form "vós" was eliminated earlier: even in European Portuguese it is not used anymore. However, I recall that my late grandmother (born in 1928) still used the possessive form "vosso" ("your" informal plural), though not the form "vós".
  Best regards,
  Bruno

Hayim Sheynin <hsheynin19444 at yahoo.com> escreveu:
          Dear Bruno,

As you can see the changes in Brazilean Portuguese remind the situation I described in Hebrew and Russian. However the change in Brazil came about 200
years later.

Hayim Y. Sheynin

    Visit Your Group

   Science lab equipment