[Lexicog] Thou -- Indo-European Roots

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 9 15:02:21 UTC 2007

Leave it to those Indo-Europeans to be the root of our enlightenment.
Rudy, you may be right about `thou' being calqued from French;
however, it's history might be more oblique. Most of the sources I
checked cite Indo-European as the primary source, with the offshoots
of that form embedding itself into Old German (du/thou (thou being a
dialectic variant of du) and Latin(tu) – whence into French. Greek
apparently absorbed it as 'sy' (Merriam W.) or 'su' (Online Etymology
Dictionary). I listed them verbatim below.

 Oxford American English Dictionary:
Old English thu, of
Germanic origin; related to
German du, from an Indo-
European root shared by
Latin tu.

Merriam Webster:
Middle English, from Old English thu; akin to Old High German du
thou, Latin tu, Greek sy

Online Etymology dictionary || www.etonymonline.com
*thu (cf. O.Fris. (Old Frisian); thu, M.Du. (Middle Dutch); M.L.G.
(Middle Lower German) du, O.H.G. (Old High German), Ger. (German) du,
O.N. (Old Norse) þu, Goth. þu), from PIE *tu-, second person singular
pronoun (cf. L. tu, Ir. tu, Welsh ti, Gk. su, Lith. tu, O.C.S. ty,
Skt. twa-m).

Scott

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com