[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sun Jun 10 23:50:40 UTC 2007

I have heard “mon zami” in France. Examples can be found on the Internet
easily.

Now the cases which I constructed for either French doctor towards Algerian
or

Algerian doctor towards Frenchman are, of course, hypothetical. I did not
think

of the addressee being from the upper class especially or a blue-collar
worker.

I thought of a foreigner as a human being.

It bothers me that people change their form of speech towards

foreigners. This can happen in German by talking to foreigners by using a

grammar simplified to the level of using only infinitives as a verbal form

“du gehen Kaufhaus” (= you go store), and the informal “du” – while the

formal respectful “Sie” would be expected. What if it turns out that the

addressee  has received his Ph.D. in Germany and speaks

better German than the German?! I am sure that cases like that of simplified

speech towards foreigners can be mentioned from other nationalities.

(By the way, German doctors would have to address any patient regardless of

status by the formal “Sie” – unless they are on “Du” terms already. Apart
from

that only children are addressed by “Du”).

Fritz Goerling

I am not familiar with /z/ linking in Algerian French. I've asked around and
none of my (younger) Algerian friends can say to be familiar with it either.
Perhaps my memory needs to be jogged on this, and I could also ask older
Algerians.
Now, the use of "tu" would be perfectly normal on the part of the French
doctor
(we are talking here of a situation occurring in France, as there no longer
are
any French doctors practicing in Algeria, or in any case not in any
significant
numbers), and he/she would expect a reciprocal "tu". Now the case would of
course not apply if the addressee was someone from the "upper classes" (I
hastily bundle the academic community, the commercially successful new
entrepreneurs, and all higher placed government officials, whether from the
army, the police, etc.). In such a situation, mutual use of "vous" would be
in
order.
Now, a Frenchman (tourist, businessman) travelling in Algeria and addressed
as
"tu" by an Algerian doctor would quite likely find it odd, and I have
serious
doubts that this could happen. Class and status consciousness would
certainly
prevent the use of "tu" by an Algerian doctor, undoubtedly perfectly "au
fait"
with such linguistic subtleties. The same Algerian doctor would of course
likely use Arabic when speaking to a compatriot, but if any French came to
be
used, the "tu" pronoun would be used both ways, unless this doctor were
adressing someone markedly from the upper classes.

Marc FRYD

Selon Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling@ <mailto:Fritz_Goerling%40sil.org>