[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Marc Fryd marc.fryd at UNIV-POITIERS.FR
Mon Jun 11 06:23:11 UTC 2007

I have indeed found numerous instances of "mon zami" on the internet. A fair
proportion are theatrical representations of popular French as spoken in the
Maghreb by poorly literate speakers. As such, it is likely to be adopted by the
younger more literate generations as a proud token of their former linguistic
difference, more precisely a combination of self-derision and tolerant fondness
for their forefathers' imprecise expressions. The following link shows an
elaborate piece of poetic work incorporating many such theatrical features.
http://alger-roi.fr/Alger/sabir/pages_liees/lion_do_marocanes.htm

I have serious doubts, however, as to the actual existence of this proclitic /z/
in contemporary spontaneous (i.e. not poetic representations!) Maghreb French,
and none of the younger Algerians I have conferred with are familiar with it.
But hypercorrective linking /z/ is in any case a recurrent feature in French
(i.e. "ça coûte cent /z/ euros"), and is found indeed in Caribbean varieties as
a floating proclitic morpheme "quat'zassiettes"... So the putative "mon zami"
is perfectly predictable in this respect.
As to the contextualisations suggested for the possible production of "tu" or
"vous" in the course of exchanges between French and Algerian speakers, I am
surprised at FG's reaction, since in so doing I was precisely putting words
into the mouths of human beings within real life situations in order (always a
risky linguistic business, I'll grant you...) in order to evaluate their
pragmatic likelihood.
Marc FRYD

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com