[Lexicog] Re: The irony of thou

kella_castaneda acastaneda at CCC.EDU
Tue Jun 12 16:21:42 UTC 2007

In Malay, any older woman would be addressed as "makcik" (aunt) and
man "pakcik" (uncle) in informal settings while "puan"/"cik" (mrs./
ms.) and "encik" (mr.) is used in a more formal setting unless the
man or woman has other titles. The speaker would use the same form of
address during the conversation. No pronouns are used.

Then there is also the many varieties of pronouns used. "I" can
be "saya/ aku/ kami/ kita/ teman (which also means friend)/patik (if
you are subordinate to a royalty)/ beta (if you are the sultan or
king), etc" and at times the person may use his/ her own name in
place of a pronoun. "You" can be "awak/ engkau/ kau/ kamu/ anda/
etc". I have yet to see a study on the use of "aku/ kau; engkau"
because at times, it may be like using 'tu' to an older person, which
can be considered rude, although the older person may use that to a
younger person. However, in prayers, the same pronouns are used when
one addresses himself/ herself and God.

There are also regional, age, culture differences in the use of
pronouns and forms of address when one speaks Malay. Indonesian being
very similar to Malay may also have its own pronouns.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, billposer at ... wrote:

> Yes, it would be interesting to do a book on forms of address. You'd
> think that someone would have done this already, but I'm not aware
of
> such a book, at least not a really comprehensive one.
>
> One topic in which I have some interest is the extended use of
kinship
> terms, that is, the use of kinship terms with people who are not
actually
> related. In some cultures, this is very common, but there is a great
> deal of variation in when it is done and whether it is treated like
> actual kinship. In Korean I have noticed a change between my
generation
> and the next. Korean girls of my generation addressed unrelated
boys with
> whom they were fairly well acquainted, such as the sons of friends
of
> the family and the boys from their own neighborhood, as "elder
brother".
> This usage extended to their boyfriends. When they married,
however, they
> ceased to address their husband as "elder brother". Korean women of
the
> current generation continue to call their boyfriend "elder brother"
after
> marriage. I noticed this first when watching Korean soap operas and
t hen
> confirmed it while staying with a former student and her husband.
>
> In Korea, then, calling someone "brother" does not preclude a sexual
> relationship - it is not incest. In Navajo, one also uses sibling
terms
> toward close friends. I address a close friend two years older than
I am

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com