[Lexicog] mentee/mentoree

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Jun 27 23:19:05 UTC 2007

Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> The normal formation is to add -er/-or to get the person doing it and
> add -ee to the receiver of the action. So employ-> employer, employee,
> address -> addresser, addressee. There isn't a verb for mentor, but
> using back formation you get: mentor <- ment and then ment -> mentee.

There's a substantial difference between deriving a new word from an
attested word (which is the case with most -er/-ee words, I believe) and
deriving one from an unattested = back-formation word.  The latter is, I
think, much odder.  In his 1980 book "Word Formation in Generative
Grammar", Mark Aronoff claimed that regular word formation from
non-words (by which he meant uninflected lexemes, as opposed to stems or
roots) wasn't even possible.  He ascribed apparent cases of word
formation from non-words to word formation rules which involved a
truncation process and an affixation process at the same time.

Of course, not everyone bought into that (or buys into it today).  But
it does explain the extreme rarity (and for some of us, impossibility)
of words like 'mentee' or 'dediquee'.

A related issue is the apparent morphological complexity of words like
perceive, permit, perception, permission etc., which are apparently
frozen Latin(?) morphology.  I forget what Aronoff said about these.
Other examples he considered were 'raspberry', 'boysenberry' etc., but I
can't remember what he did with the non-morphemes 'rasp' (except that he
explicitly did not link it to the verb 'rasp') and 'boysen'.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com