[Lexicog] mentee/mentoree

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Jun 27 23:32:08 UTC 2007

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> In his 1980 book "Word Formation in Generative
> Grammar", Mark Aronoff claimed that regular word formation from
> non-words (by which he meant uninflected lexemes, as opposed to stems or
> roots) wasn't even possible.

To say what I meant to say: Aronoff defined 'word' to mean lexeme, i.e.
basically a word without any inflection.  In English this happens to be
the citation form, but for a language like Spanish it becomes more
complicated...  Anyway, what he was claiming (and what I muddled in my
earlier message) is that words are derived from words.  That is,
derivational morphology operates attaches affixes to words, not to roots
or stems.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu