[Lexicog] When Semantics Doesn't Matter

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 29 19:05:21 UTC 2007

bolstar1 wrote:
> "Better a witty fool than a foolish wit." Is this the use of
> antistrophe or chiasmus? Well, here the use, or frequency of use,
> would take precedence over any particular dictionary, because "it's
> all one" according to the dictionaries. My gut tells me "chiasmus,"
> but the OneLook Reverse Dictionary doesn't list it under "inverse,"
> but it does list "antistrophe" (both alluding to the reverse order of
> parallel phrases.)
I am not sure if this is antistrophe or chiasmus. Your expression has
ADJ + N and ADJ + N. So where is the reverse of grammatical categories?
It is like in the Popeye cartoon:

Olive Oil to Popeye "Your awful pretty."
Popeye to Olive Oil "I think your pretty awful too."

John Roberts

--
John R Roberts
dr_john_roberts at sil.org