[Lexicog] When Semantics Doesn't Matter

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 30 15:50:25 UTC 2007

Bill: Now I'm chuckling over your point about Shakespeare reading
better in German than in English(I know it wasn't your own statement,
but it was just so darn cute.) This would be an example of the use of,
for lack of a better term, hyperbolic hyperbole. I have always thought
it a waste of time, personally, to have read through all of 'War and
Peace' -- you know, that tidbit of a book by Leo-the-Sparse -- without
enjoying Leo's rhetorical genius (Oh, what I must have missed in the
translation.) Leo T.quaintly once said of Shakespeare, ""The works of
Shakespeare, borrowed as they are, and externally, like mosaics,
artificially fitted together piecemeal from bits invented for the
occasion, have nothing whatever in common with art and poetry."
    Granted, Tolstoy may have been in a temporary stupor, or maybe his
wife had spilled hot coffee on his pants that morning, or perhaps he
didn't read a German translation of Shakespeare......but whatever the
reason, he may be in on the theory that Shakespeare wasn't such a hot
literary number as he is purported to be. I'd like to see more proof of
this though.

Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com