[Lexicog] Re: When Semantics Doesn't Matter

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 30 16:35:56 UTC 2007

John: Good point. And, as much as Bill Clinton feels your pain as
your president, I feel your pain as a rhetorician. The problem here
lies in lexicographical principles of  1) commonality  2) pragmatics.
e.g. -- According to Tom MacArthur (Oxford Companion to the English
Language) "consonance" has fallen/is falling out of use amongst
linguists -- vs. "assonance -- now a more encompassing term,
or "alliteration" which also encompasses the two. Now this perplexes
me a a rhetorician. Consonance -- what an exquisite, and self-
evident, category of rhetorical devices." Yet owing to usage
(frequency), I bow to the pragmatists. Yet I could cite chapter-verse-
line as to how often the two, as well as
alliterative/syllabic/combinations-thereof....mix and match. So, in
order for your point to be well-taken, it must be well-received. The
form-function categorization of terms/uses is rather a large hurdle.
I have to take "inverse order of words" as an underlying lexeme in
determining categories for this type of use. It seems to be less
confusing.
 -- I'm interested in hearing more of your observations --

Scott

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, John Roberts

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com