[Lexicog] Re: When Semantics Doesn't Matter

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 30 19:09:22 UTC 2007

Hayim: I've never had less an appreciation for, admiration for, your
linguistic talents. It's a pleasure to read your posts. (I knew your
meaning, and point.)

Scott N.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Hayim Sheynin
<hsheynin19444 at ...> wrote:

> <<Shakespeare is better in German translation.>>
>
> Let me share some thoughts relating to this generalization.
> 1. For whom Shakespeare is better in German translation? It is
> clearly for the people who know German better than English.
> 2. Can you imagine that somebody knows a second language
> better than his native language (mother's tongue)?
> 3. Is this generalization relates to a feeling of a scholar
(philologist,
> linguist, literary scholar) or an impression of a common reader.
> 4. Are in German literary references of Shakespeare and his sources
> are better understood?
> 5. Do Shakespeare's witticisms and phraseology sound better in
translation?
> 6. Can anybody state that KJV of the Bible or German Luther's
translation
> or any other translation of the Bible be better than Hebrew
original.
> 7. Can anybody state that any translation of a classical work (I
mean
> one written in classical Greek or ancient Latin) be better than the
original?
> 8. There are many excellent translations from language A to
language B,
> and how laudable they can be they never are going to be equal to the
> original.
> 9. If somebody who tried his hand in translation can confirm the
statement
> above, it would be interesting to analyze this.
> However taking in account all the aspects of translation it is very
difficult
> to accept this opinion.
>
> Hayim Sheynin

Bill: Now I'm chuckling over your point about Shakespeare reading

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com