[Lexicog] Re: When Semantics Doesn't Matter

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sat Jun 30 21:05:35 UTC 2007

bolstar1 wrote:
> John: Good point. <snip>
> I have to take "inverse order of words" as an underlying lexeme in
> determining categories for this type of use. It seems to be less
> confusing.
>  -- I'm interested in hearing more of your observations --

I guess it then depends on what you mean by "underlying lexeme". Which
of these would you consider examples of antistophe/chiasmus? (I am not
sure if we have decided there is a difference?):

an intriguing mystery and a mysterious intrigue
plate glass and a glass plate
a wedding ceremony and a ceremonial wedding
a dogged hunter and a hunting dog
a jealous rage and a raging jealousy
flying colours and coloured flies
barbarous cruelty and a cruel barbarian
a raving beauty and a beautiful rave
a crooked arm and an armed crook
boyhood and a hooded boy
forfeit a claim and claim a forfeit
to demand satisfaction and to satisfy a demand
cook the books and book the cooks
change her mind and mind her change
ring the changes and change the rings
cry baby and baby cry
keep in the dark and dark in the keep
dead of the night and night of the dead
nearest and dearest and dearest and nearest

I think there is more than just reversing words going on in these
examples. It also depends on what you think a lexeme is.

John R

--
John R Roberts
dr_john_roberts at sil.org