[Lexicog] Lexicography Training in NYC

Erin McKean editor at VERBATIMMAG.COM
Fri Mar 2 15:34:13 UTC 2007

As far as I know there is no formal lexicographical training in NYC.
(And if you haven't read Sidney Landau's book, Dictionaries: The Art and
Craft of Lexicography, that is the best place to start.)

There are scattered classes available elsewhere: I am teaching a class
at Northwestern University (in Evanston, IL) on dictionaries and
lexicography this spring. There are also the Lexicom workshops (the next
one is Brno, Czech Republic:     http://nlp.fi.muni.cz/lexicom2007), and
there are occasionally classes in Georgia at UGA, by Bill Kretzschmar.

There is also the Dictionary Society of North America, which is having
their biannual conference this year (June 12-16) at the University of
Chicago (dsna-chicago.blogspot.com). If you are interested in
dictionaries membership in the DSNA is a good idea, and very inexpensive
(especially for students).

If there was enough interest in a one- or two-day introductory
lexicography seminar in NYC I could probably put one together for the
late summer or early fall.

The main problem, of course, in training in lexicography is that there
are simply not very many jobs available, at least in the US!

Yours,

Erin McKean

http://us.click.yahoo.com/0It09A/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com