[Lexicog] new idiom

Andrew Shimunek shenanzhu at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 3 14:05:51 UTC 2007

Mongolian has an interesting construction to express getting a cold, in which the cold is perceived as a location at which one arrives or towards which one is headed:

bi xaniad xür-sen
Би ханиад хүрсэн
1.sing cold reach/arrive.at-perfective
'I have a cold' (lit. 'I reached/arrived at cold')

bi xaniad xür-ch bai-na
Би ханиад хүрч байна
1.sing cold reach/arrive.at-imperfective.converb be/exist-durative
'I am getting a cold' (lit. 'I am arriving at / reaching a cold')

Andrew Shimunek