[Lexicog] Getting a cold

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Mar 4 22:59:30 UTC 2007

Wayne,

   Could you give us a morphological breakdown of the Cheyenne expression?
Is it really an idiom? Or just the customary way to refer to illnesses?
English is odd in treating them as something received or possessed. Whorf
could have fun with that.

    English: I have an ear-ache.
    Spanish: Me duele el oido.  (My [inner] ear hurts me.]

Thanks to Andrew Shimunek for the Mongolian example. Sometimes other languages
just seem strange because we take the expression in our own language for
granted. I've often found that I gained insight into English by holding it
up to the mirror of another language.

   Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/4It09A/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com