[Lexicog] new idiom

Katayoon Pakattchi katayoon_pa at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 6 19:21:41 UTC 2007

Hi Every one,
  In Persian or Farsi for catching cold we say "I eat cold".

shenanzhu at yahoo.com wrote:
              This is interesting, because in Mongolian the same things you mention here, just as with a cold, are perceived of as locations or destinations:

1. Minii uur xür-ch bai-na.
    1.sing.poss steam/anger reach/arrive.at-imperfective.converb be/exist-durative
    'I am getting angry' or 'I am angry/mad' (lit. 'my steam/anger is arriving')

2. Minii shees xür-ch bai-na.
    1.sing.poss urine reach/arrive.at-imperfective.converb be/exist-durative
    'I have to go (no. 1)' (lit. 'my urine is arriving')

3. Minii baas xür-ch bai-na.
    1.sing.poss fecal.matter reach/arrive.at-imperfective.converb be/exist-durative
   'I have to go (no. 2)' (lit. 'my f.m. is arriving')

4. Bi xaniad xür-ch bai-na.
    1.sing cold reach/arrive.at-imperfective.converb be/exist-durative
    'I am getting a cold' (lit. 'I am arriving at / headed toward a cold')

However, it seems that with a cold, the person is headed towards the disease, whereas in 1-3 it is the bodily function or emotion that is headed toward the person.

Andrew Shimunek