[Lexicog] Idioms and Collocations: Fellbaum (Ed)

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 10 04:30:09 UTC 2007

Dear lexicographers,

This message was posted today on LINGUIST LIST. I think this book is important for many of us. So I repost it on Lexicography list.

Hayim Y. Sheynin

Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:37:43
From: Simone Gilson < sgilson at continuumbooks.com >
Subject: Idioms and Collocations: Fellbaum (Ed)

Title: Idioms and Collocations
Subtitle: Corpus-based linguistic and lexicographic studies
Series Title: Corpus and Discourse

Publication Year: 2007
Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
    http://www.continuumbooks.com

Book URL: http://www.continuumbooks.com

Editor: Christiane
 Fellbaum

Hardback: ISBN: 9780826489944 Pages: 224 Price: U.K. £ 75.00

Abstract:

This book demonstrates how corpus-based research can advance the
understanding of linguistic phenomena in a given language. By
presenting a detailed analysis of collocations and idioms in a digital corpus of
English and German, the contributors to this volume show how the use of
collocations and idioms has changed over time, and suggests possible
triggers for this change. The book not only examines what these
collocations and idioms are, but also what their purpose is within
languages. Idioms and Collocations is divided into three sections. The
first section discusses the construction, composition and annotation of
the corpus. Chapters in the second section describe the methods for
querying the corpus, the generation and maintenance of the example subcorpora,
and the linguistic-lexicographic analyses of the target idioms. Finally,

the third section presents the results of specific investigations into the
syntactic, semantic, and historical properties of collocations. This
book presents original work in corpus linguistics, computational
linguistics, theoretical linguistics and lexicography. It will be useful for
researchers in academic and industrial settings, and lexicographers.

Linguistic Field(s): Lexicography
                     Semantics
                     Syntax
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)
                     German, Standard (deu)

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/get-book.html?BookID=24377