[Lexicog] Historical-Lexicographical Methodology in WSJ Review

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 17 15:31:42 UTC 2007

It may be of interest to some on this list that the Wall Street Journal
has a review today of my book, The Yale Book of Quotations.  The review
focuses on the methodology I used in researching quotation origins,
specifically extensive searching of full-text historical online databases.
The YBQ is the first quotation dictionary to use OED-like research methods
to trace sayings back to their earliest findable appearance.

Databases I used that are mentioned in the article include JSTOR, ProQuest
Historical Newspapers, Times Digital Archive, LexisNexis,
Newspaperarchive, Questia, Eighteenth Century Collections Online, and
Literature Online.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986

http://us.click.yahoo.com/4It09A/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com