[Lexicog] Morphological glossing of Cheyenne idiom?

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Mar 19 20:00:46 UTC 2007

Wayne,

   After the storm of discussion regarding social attitudes toward women
unleashed in the aftermath of your original inquiry, I'm still interested
to know the morphological analysis of the Cheyenne expression for catching
a bad cold. What signals that Cold is being personified? (In Navajo I know
that this would not normally be possible, because of the animacy hierarchy,
but Navajo speakers do play with the grammatical constraints.)

   Thanks,

   Rudy
-------
   Rudy Troike

I enjoy learning new idioms in any language. Yesterday I heard a new
Cheyenne idiom:

Náma'xene'enéseha He'haévêháne. 'I came down with a bad cold.'
[lit. Cold
(personified) beat me up bad.]

Wayne
-----