[Lexicog] Morphological glossing of Cheyenne idiom?

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 19 22:01:45 UTC 2007

Rudy, here's the morph. glossing for the Cheyenne idiom:

ná-ma'xe-ne'eneseh-a he'haé-vêháne
1-big-beat.up-3 have.cold-PERS
'I was beaten up a lot by Cold.' (it's not a true passive sentence in Cheyenne, but, rather an inverse action where the lower ranked person on the person hierarchy is acting upon the higher ranked person)

1=1st person
3=3rd person
-he'haé is the verb stem for 'have cold' (of course, there is no 'have' in it)
PERS = personifier

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne dictionary online:
http://www11.asphost4free.com/cheyennedictionary/default.htm

  Wayne,

  After the storm of discussion regarding social attitudes toward women
  unleashed in the aftermath of your original inquiry, I'm still interested
  to know the morphological analysis of the Cheyenne expression for catching
  a bad cold. What signals that Cold is being personified? (In Navajo I know
  that this would not normally be possible, because of the animacy hierarchy,
  but Navajo speakers do play with the grammatical constraints.)

  Thanks,

  Rudy
  -------
  Rudy Troike

  I enjoy learning new idioms in any language. Yesterday I heard a new
  Cheyenne idiom:

  Náma'xene'enéseha He'haévêháne. 'I came down with a bad cold.'
  [lit. Cold
  (personified) beat me up bad.]

  Wayne
  -----