[Lexicog] how to compile data on proto-language reconstruction

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 22 08:31:44 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a colleague get a collection of Proto language data into
a format that could be posted on a website. We have it in a Toolbox format
and I'd like to export it to HTML from Lexique Pro. The format is a lot like
a dictionary but enough different that I'm running into trouble. A typical
entry goes something like this:

Proto-form

      English gloss

   Attested form

      English gloss

         Language name (abbreviation for a language/dialect area which
attests this form and meaning)

         Language name

         Language name

      English gloss

         Language name

         Language name

         Language name

   Attested form

      English gloss

         Language name

         Language name

         Language name

The only way I've found to make this work with Toolbox / Lexique Pro is to
put the English gloss in the \ps field and the language abbreviations in the
\ge field. But this feels like a major abuse of the system. Do any of you
know of a format that's really meant for this kind of data?

Allan J.