[Lexicog] part of speech in E-V

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at CENTRUM.CZ
Sat Mar 24 09:32:28 UTC 2007

Ron

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I have send you some examples in a PDF
attachment off-list (since I don't know if Yahoo groups allows
attachements), but I want to make another comment here:

> black
>             black (adj.) sapa
>             black (n.), the color black (Lakota word)
>             black (v.), to black sth. (Lakota word)

I understand your reasoning.
But Lakota lacs a noun and an adjective for "black" and on the other hand it
has other words for "black" that fall into other part of speech categories.
So it makes me think, wouldn't it be more "emic" to indicate the Lakota part
of speech, rather than that of the English headword:

black
             sapa vs. to be black
             asapa vs. to be black on the surface
 	 sapsapa vs-red. to black in each case (inanimate plural)
             sabyA vt. to paint sth black
  	 sabic'iya vrefl. to blacken oneself
  	 sabkicichiya vben. to blacken smth for sb
  	 sabya adv. in a black condition

I think that such reflecting of the Lakota part of speech inventory for
'black', rather than the English inventory might be of advantage for the
language learner or dictionary user, to make them think in grammatical terms
of the Lakota language, which is the language of the primary concern in the
dictionary.

I agree this strategy might get more complicated to implement in complex
entries, but I don't think it is impossible to keep this approach
consistent. The question is - are there other disadvantages for such
strategy? Does it for instance make the English-Lakota section less user
friendly or less clear?

Jan

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com