[Lexicog] part of speech in E-V

goodtracks at PEOPLEPC.COM goodtracks at PEOPLEPC.COM
Sun Mar 25 05:13:19 UTC 2007

 The question is - are there other disadvantages for such strategy? Does it for instance make the English-Lakota section less user friendly or less clear?

Jan:
Your final questions here delves into the heart and purpose of your work.  There is an axiom stating:  Keep in mind the audience for whom you write (or something to that effect).  In your situation and mine, we write primarily for the benefit of the community who speaks the language or are for their heirs to the language, and who now are students in learning their indigenous community language.

I am aware that for the Lakota Dakota communities, there is a 100 year (plus) literary tradition that is more or less familiar to the current residents, who have varying degrees of literary ability in their language.  Not so, for the Baxoje Jiwere communities here on the Southern Plains.   Yet, the two Siouan groups of language learners have in common a general lack of familiarity with the complexities of their language, whether or not they have a spoken command.

During the 1970s Oklahoma tribes language renaissance, the fluent elders were recruited to hold language classes.  It became evident that they knew how to speak it and express themselves in their language, but they really did not know how to teach it (present it) to effect any kind substantive speaking ability among the student learners, many who were adults.

Now getting back to your inquiry on giving parts of speech for the L/D entry (OR)  the B/J entry here for me, was then as it is now irrelevant for the most part to the language students -- adults and children alike.  They were not especially astute as to what constitutes the difference between a transitive vs intransitive verb, or an adverb, etc. even as it applied for English (which often was the students only language and the one for which they had formal classroom instruction).  They did not care if, as in your examples, "sapa" was a  noun, verb (t/i), verb stative or adjective.  They wanted to know how to use the word to express their thoughts.  They needed and wanted to know how the word is used, as in, "Sunkawakan sapa kin le yelo"  (This is a black horse) from the words use in "Nanpe micisapa yelo" (My hand is black) or "Nanpe sapmak^iya..." (He caused my hand to be black).

For the advanced language student, identifying the word and its variations by the more correct part of speak as it fits the L/D grammar will be useful.  However, the typical language students that I have found in recent years, preferred that I did not use p.o.s. during instruction as it tended to cloud and confuse them and cause many to loose their focus.  For me, it is more efficient and expedient to use at least a minimal set of grammatical terms.  However, I am there for the student learner, and so, I needfully adjust what is most condusive to their learning process.

So in short, the POS are most useful to grammarians and linguists, and not the language community learner.  While I compose the dictionary so that it will be useful to the linguists as well, it first and foremost, must serve the needs of the particular language community for whom it is intended to benefit.
Another axiom is:  Keep it simple.  So I strive for visual surface clearity.

It is customary to give a part of speech for the English word in the dictionary,  and so I do so on the English section.  On the Baxoje Jiwere section, I follow English custom by giving all applicable parts of speech which to the entry, but for sub-entries I forego it.  For example:

wábage; iwábage (old); (wapak^e (DOR))  n/adj/v.i.   blood; bloody; bleed. [W.wa^í; Om/P.wamí; Os.wabin; D. we].    .. raxíge; iwábage raxíge,  spit up blood.  .  **SEE:  wán^sha; blood; spit.

 Eventually, I will supply examples of use of the entry word "wabage" in sentences for all the varied uses above.

I continue to do in the same manner for verbs.
wabé   v.t.   throw away, throw out s.t.:   (I..., wábe; you..., warábe; we..., hinwábewi; they..., wabéñe).    [NOTE:  wábe, I throw away [wa-(something) + há-(I) + bé (abandon; leave; discard, throw away)].    Dagúare warábewida  mitáwe ke,  Whatever it was you (plural) threw away,  it was mine.

In the above verb example, the glossed meaning of the compound term is simply verb transitive.  Not a meaningfull fact for the student learners in my sessions.  What is more useful to them is the main conjugation forms.  Because the 1ps is also a contraction, I supply an analysis of the contraction to serve as a visual explaination for the student learner.  This is followed by the use of the term in a sentence context.  I include the word "plural" in italics in the English sentence, so as the reader will be able to constrast the 2ps in the conjugations, from the 2pp in the sentence example.

wahá  v.i.   1. show, present; view; show suddently.  2. stretch out; present to view.  3. push forward, that one may see (DOR).  4. raise the hand; wave the hand:  (I..., hapáha; you..., swáha; we..., hinwáhawi; they..., waháñe).    Náwe gwáha ke,  He raised his hand.    Ángiwahañe to,  Let them show it to me!    Swaré k^irána náwe wahá máñi ke,  Now and then he raised his hand.  (waha (DOR)).  [Om/P/Os. baha; Os. nanbe baha, show the hand as when taking an oath; D.paha, raise to strike; apaha, raise over; pazo (DOR)]. wahá réhi (DOR),     push forward suddently so one may see.    waháha, raise (& wave hand); wave (at s.o.).    waháhi,  cause another to show an object (DOR):  (I..., waháha; you..., wahára; we..., waháhinwi; they..., waháhiñe).  (wahahi (DOR)).  [Om/P. bahakidhe; D. pazokiya (DOR)].  **SEE:  waháye.

  **  awáha,  wave, make motion at s.o..    giwáha ~ giwáhaha,  wave s.t.    náwe giwáhaha,  wave the hand.    wahádan (waghatan (DOR)),  make stiff by rising (dough).    mín wawáha,  wave a blanket (to give alarm of approaching enemy) (arch.).  **SEE:  wave.

In this unfinished entry, there are several glosses, followed by the four main conjugation forms.  The entry does not indicate that "wa-" is an instrumental prefix indicating that the action was performed by some manner of pushing by hand.  This information was made under the separate entry "wa-   (an inseparable instrumental prefix) .....".  Subsequent variants of the word were not listed with an identifying part of speech; However, I will eventually have each term with the four main conjugated forms, and illustrative sentences that will use the subentry in context.

I hope the above examples from my Baxoje Jiwere Dictionary (first revision) demonstrate my approach to your initial question, namely, that all possible POS are indicated for the initial native entry, but not for any following subentry variants of the word.  The intragrated usage of the entry word is followed by illustrative sentence that allow for a contextual reference.  My format for doing so, is made in the effort to provide the community language learners essential information in a consistant simple manner with a minimum of non-essential information (for their purposes), yet attempting to address a larger general audience as well.

Jimm

PS:  I looked up your publications books Level One & Two on the Consortium site.  I'm hoping the Tribe here will loosen up some funds to purchase the two books for reference resources.
Best Regards as you continue along in your Lakota project.