[Lexicog] how to compile data on proto-language reconstruction

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 26 06:25:01 UTC 2007

Neal, Ron, Kim - Thanks for your ideas. I'll test them out today and let you
know how it goes.

Allan

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kim Blewett
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 3:16 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] how to compile data on proto-language reconstruction

Hi Allan,

Perhaps you could put the Attested Forms into Subentries, like this:

\lx Proto-form
    \gl English gloss

    \se Attested form
        \ge English gloss
        \va (=Variant Form) Language name (or use one of the Etymology
fields, or Encyclopedic, or  \ps, \nt, \lf ...)
        \va Language name
        \va Language name ...

    \se Attested form

This would look nice in Lexique Pro, and in Toolbox you can sort on the \se
field, then export a custom db for an Attested Forms index.

Another possibility might be to use \rn or \re for the attested forms,
instead of *or in addition to* the above. I haven't tried this, but it seems
as if you could set it up as follows, and then TB Reverse Finder List to
print out an index by attested forms.

\lx Proto-form
        \gl English gloss
        \re Attested form 1
        \re Attested form 2
        \re Attested form 3 ...

    \se Attested form 1
        \ge English gloss
        \va (=Variant Form) Language name (or use one of the Etymology
fields, or Encyclopedic, or  \ps, \nt, \lf ...)
        \va Language name
        \va Language name ...

    \se Attested form 2
        \ge English gloss
        \va Language name...

Kim Blewett

Allan Johnson wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a colleague get a collection of Proto language data into
a format that could be posted on a website. We have it in a Toolbox format
and I'd like to export it to HTML from Lexique Pro. The format is a lot like
a dictionary but enough different that I'm running into trouble. A typical
entry goes something like this:

Proto-form

      English gloss

   Attested form

      English gloss

         Language name (abbreviation for a language/dialect area which
attests this form and meaning)

         Language name

         Language name

      English gloss

         Language name

         Language name

         Language name

   Attested form

      English gloss

         Language name

         Language name

         Language name

The only way I've found to make this work with Toolbox / Lexique Pro is to
put the English gloss in the \ps field and the language abbreviations in the
\ge field. But this feels like a major abuse of the system. Do any of you
know of a format that's really meant for this kind of data?

Allan J.