[Lexicog] Re: Lakhofa Dictionary

goodtracks at PEOPLEPC.COM goodtracks at PEOPLEPC.COM
Mon Mar 26 13:03:44 UTC 2007

Jan:
I have only a few inquiries.  When completed, will the Lakota Dictionary be available via CD, On Line Site, printed version in book form or all three?  There are discussions that an electronic dictionary is the current trend, but I guess I'm old enough to appreciate the finger tip convenience of books, in lieu of PC surfin & searchin.
Also, what is the anticipated (approximate) date the dictionary will be available?

For what it is worth, under the dictionary grant that I am working, the Baxoje-Jiwere Dictionary ~ English (and reverse) which revises and amplifies my 1992 BJ-Eng (& reverse) Lexicon is to have its first revision (via a PDF) to be hosted at the Kansas State Historical Society Library web site, the tribal website as well as my own site in approximate one year from now.  A final unabridged encyclopedic edition is to replace the initial revision at all three web sites  in approximately three years or (about) April 2010.   Again .
I anticipate that it will be available on CDs , and hopefully and ultimately in a hard copy book.
Jimm

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jan F. Ullrich
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 6:31 AM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] part of speech in E-V

  Jimm

  Thank you for your thoughtful letter.
  I agree that teaching a language as a tool of communication should not be based on methods involving abstract linguist terminology. On the other hand, being aware of the underlying structures of a language and classification of part of speech is of much help to any one who teaches the language, whether he is a native speaker or not.

  I believe that one of the main purposes of a dictionary is not only to define words, but also to classify them. Therefore I think that a good dictionary has to mark part of speech of the target language words. Our Lakota dictionary naturally marks part of speech of Lakota words in the Lakota-English section. My uncertainty dealt with marking part of speech in the English-Lakota section. Whether or not it should be marked for the Lakota words and how to do that.
  I think that many dictionary users do not pay attention to the grammatical information (such as POS), but it is important to include it nevertheless. Advanced language learners, teachers of the language or linguist benefit from it. We do our best to make the grammatical information so that it does not stand in the way of the visual surface clarity and user-friendliness of the dictionary.

  I also agree that students best learn from examples. Almost every entry in our 20,000 entry Lakota dictionary includes one or more example sentences and collocations. We also give conjugation paradigm under each verb.

  Thank you for the illustrations from your dictionary, very interesting! And good luck in your continuous work.

  Best regards

  Jan

  Recent Activity
    a..  2New Members