[Lexicog] names as characteristic of a category

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 26 15:44:17 UTC 2007

John,

See for my comments in your message.

Best wishes, Fritz

Fritz,

It seems to me that Biblical names are more likely to be used
idomatically to express a particular characteristic if it is used in a
negative sense (in English at least).

    Good observation.

E.g.

Jeremiah - a person who continually prophesies doom
Jericho - a remote place to which one is humorously consigned
Jezebel - a shameless painted woman

    For me she is more the type of a power-mad woman, like

    Lady Macbeth. And this is how I hear her name used: "she

    is such a Jezebel."

Jonah - someone who brings bad luck onboard a ship or elsewhere

Judas - a traitor

    Also used like that in German.

Some are positive, e.g.
Joseph - one whose chastity is above temptation
Job - a person of great patience

Then you have expressions like "I don't know him from Adam" or "He is as
old as Methusaleh" in which the Biblical character functions more as a
reference without positive or negative connotations. Adam = someone you
cannot know and Methusaleh = the oldest person who ever lived.

    How about "she is a real Eve"?

By the way, the first example below is an English idiom, but the others
are not - as far as I know.

Solomon - wise man

*David - wise king
*Jonathan - good friend
*Ruth - true proselite
*Esther - beautiful patriot
*Elija - maker miracles

    Apart from the biblical names, how about living people or from the more
recent past:

    he is no Maradona, he is a wannabe Elvis, you are not a Jack Kennedy

Best wishes,

John Roberts