[Lexicog] names as characteristic of a category

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 27 14:43:35 UTC 2007

John, my suggestions are coming not from the view of English conventions.
The conventions of Jewish people in relation to the same biblical names are such as I mentioned. After all they created the Bible. Shouldn't we listen to them?
Even New Testament seems to be underlain by an Aramaic text.

Hayim Y. Sheynin

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
  John,

  See for my comments in your message.

  Best wishes, Fritz
        Fritz,

 It seems to me that Biblical names are more likely to be used
 idomatically to express a particular characteristic if it is used in a
 negative sense (in English at least).
      Good observation.
  E.g.

 Jeremiah - a person who continually prophesies doom
 Jericho - a remote place to which one is humorously consigned
 Jezebel - a shameless painted woman
      For me she is more the type of a power-mad woman, like
      Lady Macbeth. And this is how I hear her name used: “she
      is such a Jezebel.”
  Jonah - someone who brings bad luck onboard a ship or elsewhere
  Judas - a traitor
      Also used like that in German.
  Some are positive, e.g.
 Joseph - one whose chastity is above temptation
 Job - a person of great patience

 Then you have expressions like "I don't know him from Adam" or "He is as
 old as Methusaleh" in which the Biblical character functions more as a
 reference without positive or negative connotations. Adam = someone you
 cannot know and Methusaleh = the oldest person who ever lived.
      How about “she is a real Eve”?
  By the way, the first example below is an English idiom, but the others
 are not - as far as I know.

 Solomon - wise man

 *David - wise king
 *Jonathan - good friend
 *Ruth - true proselite
 *Esther - beautiful patriot
 *Elija - maker miracles
      Apart from the biblical names, how about living people or from the more recent past:
      he is no Maradona, he is a wannabe Elvis, you are not a Jack Kennedy

 Best wishes,

 John Roberts