[Lexicog] deciding on the citation form (thanks and references)

Piotr Banski bansp at VENUS.CI.UW.EDU.PL
Wed May 2 02:56:28 UTC 2007

A while ago, I asked about sources and practices concerning citation
form selection ( http://tinyurl.com/2houq9 ). Although I haven't
received any off-list emails, I would like to summarize at least the
bibliographic references, adding something from myself for the benefit
of future list-archive-diggers. Reading about the various practices was
an eye-opening experience for someone like myself, restricted mainly to
IE languages so far, and I would like to take the opportunity to thank
those who replied to my query: Cindi Farr, Ken Hill, Mike Maxwell, Hayim
Y. Sheynin, and David Tuggy.

The reason I posted my question was that I had been asked to teach a
course in morphology to students who are fairly new to formal
linguistics and I had this idea of tying the abstractness to something
they would find relatively practical, namely some aspects of dictionary
planning/creation: talk about inflection -- show the effect on citation
forms of IE (most familiar to them), talk about kinds of affixation --
add Swahili/Nahuatl with prefixal inflection, review morphological
typology -- there's Semitic and Athabaskan, etc., etc. At each step you
can move between the abstractness of grammar and the concreteness of a
hardback (sometimes via the target group's wishes, as Cindi Farr
remarks). Many thanks for helping me extending the material!

And below is a list of sources that can be searched for some theory and
practice behind citation form selection:

Bartholomew, Doris A. and Louise C. Schoenhals. 1983. Bilingual
dictionaries for indigenous languages. Mexico: Summer Institute of
Linguistics.

Newell, Leonard E. 1995. Handbook on lexicography for
Philippine and other languages. Linguistic Society of the Philippines,
Special Monograph Issue, 36. Manila: Linguistic Society of the
Philippines. x, 368 p. http://www.ethnologue.com/show_work.asp?id=40157

I can also add:

Kiango, J.G. 2000. Bantu lexicography: a critical survey of the
principles and process of constructing dictionary entries. Tokyo: Tokyo
University of Foreing Studies.

which has a chapter on this issue; a version of this chapter appeared as
an article that Mike Maxwell cited earlier on this list, in the Nordic
Journal of African Studies, URL:
http://www.njas.helsinki.fi/abstracts/vol14num3/abstract_14_3_1.html

Some ideas and bibliographical leads for Bantu can also be found in the
paper

G-M de Schryver and & D.J. Prinsloo. 2001. Towards a Sound Lemmatisation
Strategy for the Bantu Verb through the Use of Frequency-based Tail
Slots – with special reference to Cilubà, Sepedi and Kiswahili. In J.S.
Mdee & H.J.M. Mwansoko (eds.). 2001. Makala ya kongamano la kimataifa
Kiswahili 2000. Proceedings: 216–242, 372. Dar es Salaam: TUKI, Chuo
Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam.

General discussion is also offered by

Svensen, Bo. 1993. Practical Lexicography: Principles and Methods of
Dictionary-Making. Oxford: OUP

And the book "Making Dictionaries", by David F. Coward and Charles E.
Grimes, available from SIL:

http://www.sil.org/computing/shoebox/MDF_Updates.html

also has a chapter on this, with further references.

Once again, I would like to thank those who replied to my query. I hope
the above bibliographical information may be helpful for others as well.

Best wishes,

  Piotr Bański

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com