[Lexicog] Hebrew and Greek Shoebox databases

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu May 3 22:20:26 UTC 2007

I can send you my dictionary and will gladly do so for free. (I’ll send it
separately off-line or upload it to a website as Wayne Leman has suggested.)
It is a “work in progress,” so I make no guarantees of completeness or
accuracy. It does have all the words in the NT and a few others. It has all
the words in Louw and Nida and all the words in Greenlee’s “A New Testament
Greek Morpheme Lexicon” which according to the introduction contains all the
words in Bauer, Arndt, and Gingrich’s “A Greek-English Lexicon of the New
Testament and Other Early Christian Literature.” My dictionary has almost no
semantic information because I was developing it as a basis for
interlinearizing the NT. For this reason I concentrated on such things as
identifying the underlying form of each stem. I’ve also done a lot of work
analyzing derivational morphology. I’ve included as much etymological
information as I could glean from a variety of sources.

Unfortunately when I modified the original Toolbox database in preparation
for merging it with Louw and Nida’s dictionary and importing it into
FieldWorks, I made significant modifications to it over a period of months.
I’m now trying to find a stable and usable version among the 100 or so
backup copies of the database on my hard drive. It will take me a day or two
to find or create a good version of it and convert it to unicode. I was
using the old Ulysses font, but the newer unicode Galatia font is much
better.

The best thing would be to get permission to use my version of Louw and
Nida’s dictionary, which I have converted to the unicode Galatia font. It is
classified according to Louw and Nida’s domains, as well as mine. It has all
their definitions. It has my grammatical and etymological information. All
complex forms are linked to their roots. It is now in both Toolbox and
FieldWorks formats. In short it has lots of very nice features. In the
process of importing it into FieldWorks we had to break some links, which I
am in the process of restoring. But Louw and Nida’s dictionary is a
wonderful tool.

Ron Moe

   _____