[Lexicog] Hebrew and Greek Shoebox databases

walidforal walidforal at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 3 23:33:13 UTC 2007

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Hayim Sheynin

wrote:
>   I can send you my dictionary and will gladly do so for free.
(I'll send it separately off-line or upload it to a website as Wayne
Leman has suggested.) It is a "work in progress," so I make no
guarantees of completeness or accuracy. It does have all the words
in the NT and a few others. It has all the words in Louw and Nida
and all the words in Greenlee's "A New Testament Greek Morpheme
Lexicon" which according to the introduction contains all the words
in Bauer, Arndt, and Gingrich's "A Greek-English Lexicon of the New
Testament and Other Early Christian Literature." My dictionary has
almost no semantic information because I was developing it as a
basis for interlinearizing the NT. For this reason I concentrated on
such things as identifying the underlying form of each stem. I've
also done a lot of work analyzing derivational morphology. I've
included as much etymological information as I could glean from a
variety of sources.

>   Unfortunately when I modified the original Toolbox database in
preparation for merging it with Louw and Nida's dictionary and
importing it into FieldWorks, I made significant modifications to it
over a period of months. I'm now trying to find a stable and usable
version among the 100 or so backup copies of the database on my hard
drive. It will take me a day or two to find or create a good version
of it and convert it to unicode. I was using the old Ulysses font,
but the newer unicode Galatia font is much better.

>   The best thing would be to get permission to use my version of
Louw and Nida's dictionary, which I have converted to the unicode
Galatia font. It is classified according to Louw and Nida's domains,
as well as mine. It has all their definitions. It has my grammatical
and etymological information. All complex forms are linked to their
roots. It is now in both Toolbox and FieldWorks formats. In short it
has lots of very nice features. In the process of importing it into
FieldWorks we had to break some links, which I am in the process of
restoring. But Louw and Nida's dictionary is a wonderful tool.