[Lexicog] Onomatopoeia

Kenneth Keyes ken_keyes at SIL.ORG
Tue May 15 14:57:03 UTC 2007

Dear Scott,

I discussed it with my colleague, and he suggested that we treat
onomatopoeia as an etymological note. Perhaps derivation
would also be a possibility.

In Turkic, onomatopoeitic verbs are formed from onomopoeitic particles, such
as 'tars' "the sound of a heavy object falling", either
with a light verb 'tars-tars et' or with a verbalizing suffix -ylda
'tarsilda-' "to make the sound of something heavy falling" .
There are also nouns, adjectives and adverbs which can be derived from these
particles.

Thanks, Ken
   _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Nelson
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:46 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Cc: bolstar1 at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Onomatopoeia

Dear Ken K.
   The meaning, or 'category, of onomatopoeia is straight-forward --
sounding like the meaning - but the occurrences have interesting twists and
flavors. Encarta lists ‘buzz’ as an example of onomatopoeia – imitating the
sound of the action. On background, Shakespeare had coined the term ‘buzzer’
(noun form), but he’d used it to refer to people who were gossips (the
Oxford American Dictionary attributing the root word to the Middle English
term “busse” -- imitation – hence Shakespeare’s “imitators” or “copyers” of
what they’d heard). But the suggestion (in Shakey’s use of the term --
assumably) refers not only to the literal meaning, but to the “buzz” that is
created in the immediate environment of gossiping – akin to bees buzzing, or
muted, hushed whispers about “Did you hear about
”.
     Hamlet 4.5.89-95

Her brother is in secret come from France,
     Feeds on his wonder, keeps himself in clouds,
     And wants not buzzers to infect his ear
     With pestilent speeches of his father's death,
     Wherein necessity, of matter beggared,
     Will nothing stick our person to arraign
     In ear and ear.  (Signet)

Others may have another angle on the "category" of onomatopoeia.
Good luck, Scott Nelson

** wonder, keeps himself in clouds = suspicion in clouds = i.e. in cloudy
surmise and suspicion (rather than the light of fact) (Riverside)
** wants not buzzers = does not lack talebearers (Signet)
** of matter beggar'd  =  destitute of facts (Riverside)
** buzzers = whispering informers
** Will nothing stick will not hesitate (Signet)
** nothing stick our person to arraign = scruple not at all to charge me
with
     the crimes (River side)

Kenneth Keyes <ken_keyes at sil.-org> wrote:

Dear all,

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to include information about
onomatopoeitic words? What field should this go under?

Many Thanks in advance,

Ken Keyes

Yahoo! Groups Links

   _____

Building a website is a piece of cake.
Yahoo! Small Business gives you HYPERLINK
"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48251/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting
/?p=PASSPORTPLUS"all the tools to get online.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:47 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:47 AM