[Lexicog] Re: Oops on 'lacerta' (alligator) Shakespeare's contributions

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 21 21:33:34 UTC 2007

Sorry, folks, but I stuck 'lacerta' ("probable" Latin source for the
word 'alligator') under the history of the word 'event' -- not
under 'alligator.'
    For Rudy -- Yes, there are probably a number of attributed
coinages of Shakespeare that would go to others if enough truth were
known. That's the nature of etymology in general, though. The further
back you go in time, the more tenuous the links become, whether
speaking about "coinages" or "origins."
    This is true for two reasons. First, the attributed source may
have copied what was the vernacular of the time. The attributee may
have simply recorded it first, or his/her recording is the only copy
(s)extant, the true coiner's work having disappeared......into the
ages. (Remember, we have no original written pages of Shakespeares
writing --and only six original signatures of Shakespeare -- all of
which are spelled differently.) Original sources are hard to come by
(or non-existent -- including the Bible, Homer, and all other ancient
writers.
    Second, I refer to the inference I made in my reply earlier
today -- that it is statistically rare (except for newly
discovered/patented objects) to find a coined word that was utterly
unique, without leaning upon a previously-used word, morpheme, or
utterance made in some form, in some language, by someone somewhere.
Maybe supercalifragilisticexpialadocious (spelling?)
    Lewis Carroll was good for this -- How else would we have known
that things kept "getting curioser and curioser" without him? As
to "meanings," the quaint phrasing H. Dumpty of the relative
flexibility of the use of words was  'When I use a word,' Humpty
Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose
it to mean - neither more nor less." But shifts in meanings per se
('semantic shift') is not enough for linguists to term it
a "coinage."
    Dr. Seuss was also good at making up words out of the blue.
    But there have been other naysayers of Shakespeare. Henry Louis
Mencken wasn't quite so awe-struck by Shakespeare, who said, "After
all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known
quotations." I wish I had the time to study which phrases he
assumably plagiarized. I'm acquainted with some, but with his own
flavor. (However, a sign of creativity is to take known phrases and
turn them, or shape them with allusions to a particular point. His
patterning-themes-after-others is well-known, but that was the
standard of the time.
    Neither was G.B. Shaw frozen in icy awe of Shakey. (More on that
in a future submission.)
    As to your comment "Thanks to Fred Shapiro for disabusing us of
the myth of Shakespeare's alleged "coinages", I'm not sure what
the "myth" is. And I'm not sure who is propagating this myth. And
which particular coinages are "alleged" -- that can be verifiably
debunked? I can't argue with Fred about the over-focus of the earlier
OED editions on Shakespeare, but that's a far cry from a
wholesale "disabusing us of the myth." A case-by-case study of
particular attributed references to Shakespeare will be needed to
find a more accurate reading of his true coinagehood.
Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com