[Lexicog] Re: Shakespeare's contribution

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 23 21:42:50 UTC 2007

Rudy -- Yes, that's what I was referring to -- private letters of
local folk, etc. However, those sources aid in understanding
underlying semantic & grammatical norms of an era, and, perhaps,
glacial shifts in a language, but not generally useful in pinpointing
particular origins of particular words, which was my main point.
    Two things come to mind about the weakness of relying on local
writings in the area of etymology. Very few people were even capable
of reading or writing in a local, or any, language until Guttenberg,
and then the Renaissance. "Writers," till then, wrote formal
documents. After education became more common, the local "writers"
had to be educated by well-educated teachers, or scholars, or by
ecclesiasticals, who passed on words and phrases that itself may have
been the source of a word/phrase (or word/phrase usage). If it could
be shown someone saying in a letter to a friend, "Hey,
Henry... "Knock, knock? (Who's there?)..." pre-Shakespeare, then it
would debunk Shakey's attributability (Macbeth) for that particular
coinage. (I'm wondering if someone ever used onomatopoeia and
said, "Clunk, clunk! Who's there? Alaska. Alaska who? I don't know,
I'll aska nother person." -- time warp notwithstanding). The history
of childhood-English could be shifted.
    Another sub-point about 'local' writing. All regions,
communities, and families have their own coinages. Mention my
grandmother Benson's cow, and we all know what it means, but those
allusions rarely enter the general vernacular. But if someone
says "He is the 'Fonzie' of the modern generation, most people
immediately know what it means. But that's because the TV show "Happy
Days" was so popular to the mass audience, something that only
writers of note could pull off in that era (e.g. Shakey, Bacon,
Marlowe, etc. -- who were famous and popular in their own time).
    Even pinpointing sources, or reasons, for shifts in a language is
a tricky business (e.g.'the great vowel shift' of 1500 (1400-1600) --
logically tagged as the line between middle and modern English).
There is still disagreement on the reasons behind such a sea change
(Shakespeare coinage), the mass migration to SE England after the
black death being one of them.
   I truly would like to see uncovered an expression from a local-
yokel with the cogency, efficiency, and elegance of "Friends, Romans,
countrymen, lend me your ears." I would like to read that person's
autobiography.

Scott Nelson

- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, rtroike at ... wrote:

> Scott,
>
>    Re your point:
>
> "Or obviously if further documents in the vernacular of the common
people,
> or of commentators, or of scholars are uncovered, we could be
helped in
> this area. The problem here is the very medium of
historical "written
> documentation." Traditionally it is formal, structured, and
conservative
> (linguistically), expunged of jargon, clichés,
localisms/regionalisms,

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com