[Lexicog] Re: Dibs on coining "googleitous" & "googletudinous"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu May 24 15:49:23 UTC 2007

May I throw a googly? Where do "google", "google-eyed", "googly-eyed"come
from?

Fritz Goerling

I'm chuckling over the comments made about Google. Interesting
comments about law & culture and strategy on the part of the players.
My own "dibs" on coinagehood here (root (G/google) + suffix
(itious/tudinous)is based on: 1) having been hereby recorded (not
even recognized yet by Google -- but rather resulting in the search
response(s) -- "Your search - "googleitious"//"googletudinous" -- did
not match any documents. Suggestions.... 1) make sure all words are
spelled correctly. 2) Try different keywords 3) Try more general
keywords"
These responses were ironically satisfying -- not hitting on any
pages in a search (now technically copyrighted...and coined). And
think of it -- no recorded use out of a google of web pages out
there. They therefore fit the category of "unique" -- 2)
the 'category shifts' in usage fulfilling the requisite conditions
for coinageability (I'd like credit for that, too, since Google gave
me the same "No standard web pages containing all your search items
("coinageability") were found. (Perhaps a linguist who HAD used them
would beg to differ -- please let me know.)
Obviously, I won't get credit for them, but it may be technically
true that no one had recorded their use before. I am fully convinced,
though, that another person of higher lights will get credit for
them, by virtue of being used by a celebrity, or on the academic
significance of the contexing document. Perhaps in the same way the
great coiners of the ages were credited with their coinages.
Hats off to Fred & Rudy for engendering the point in the first
place.

Scott Nelson