[Lexicog] Coinages and brevity (was: Shakespeare's contribution)

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 25 01:17:15 UTC 2007

Dear Fritz,

I know several Hebrew sayings similar, but not exactly with the same nuance:

1. Mu`at machaziq et ha-merubbe (little but good)
2. Tafasta mu`at - tafasta (If you satisfy yourself with little, you will achieve your end.
3. Tafasta merubbeh - lo tafasta (If you satisfy yourself with much, you will not achieve your end. (often used together with  #2)
See also Proverbs 13:3: One who guards his mouth  saves his soul
( my translation--HYS)

Rabbinic treatise Avot (part of Mishna) from the Tannaitic period prescribes  modesty (restriction) in trade, entertainment, conversation and laughter (Avot VI:6), but it is formulated like a long list of  ethic values.

There are probably other sayings on this topic. I do not have a reference book of Hebrew citations under my hands. You can look for this in the libraries. One that I am familiar with is edited by Reuben Alcalay, a famous Hebrew lexicographer. There you can look under English topics.

Cheers,

Hayim Y. Sheynin

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
  Shalom, Hayim,

  You said:

 Your question is very interesting one and probably of generic nature. I mean
 that similar questions can be asked about lexical and phraseology  contribution
 to any language. For example the less known for Western linguists Russian language received an enormous contribution at the end of the 18th century and the first part of 19th century not only from German and French languages (lexical borrowing, but also from  particular writers. Probably  Nikolai Karamzin (1766-1826), a historian and a writer, contributed  a greatest number  of Russian  neologisms  and coinages, while Denis Fonvizin (von Wisien, 1744-1792) and especially A.S. Griboedov (1795-1829) contributed a greatest number of locutions, phrases, etc. I would say that in the case of the last two the reason was that they had sharp mind (i.e. they were quick-witted people) and their formulations were les mots d'esprit (witticisms). Their wittici! sms came to Russian language mostly from the comedies.

  (FG)
  Witticisms are usually brief, and as such (together with their semantic punch) tend to be remembered. As the great Bard said: “Brevity is the soul of wit.” Or as we say in German: “In der Kürze liegt die Würze” = in brevity lies spice

  Do you have a saying like that in Hebrew?

  Le chaim,

  Fritz