[Lexicog] Frequency & Attendant Words/Phrases for Lex. Entry

Randy Radney radney at TWU.CA
Thu May 31 17:49:52 UTC 2007

On 30 May 2007, at 18:12, Hayim Sheynin wrote:

> The only use of dictionary for learning English as second or third
> language is to look for 1) meaning; 2) spelling; 3) pronunciation;
> 4) idioms.
> The simpler structure of a dictionary, the easier its use. Think
> well, is it worth to invest time and effort for frequency-listing &
> attending-words/phrases listing (lexical inclusion).

This is only part of the picture; I regularly teach students in
philosophy who are learning English as they study. They tend to use
their bilingual dictionaries to find words for use in essays. I
suspect that because they have been taught to avoid too much
repetition of the same or similar terms, they look through
dictionaries for variety to include in their essays (hence, the
_anneal_ and _spoliator_ examples I mentioned in my last post!).
While I agree with you that students will tend to gravitate towards
tools that are simpler, I also believe Scott's idea would prove quite
useful to my students in their search for common understanding (as
well as variety).

Cheers,
radney
(J. Randolph Radney, Ph. D.