[Lexicog] Re: Frequency & Attendant Words/Phrases for Lex. Entry

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 31 23:25:39 UTC 2007

     Randy, Hayim, Rudy: Good points regarding frequency. As to the
value of a frequency listing, yes, it would be most useful to non-
native speakers. Intuition has always played the major part of
(proper) language usage – not rote cutting-and-pasting of technically
correct words. (My most `erudite' ESOL student in Korea (after
thirteen years) was a walking dictionary, but as stilted as computer-
generated voice mail.
     That's the reason I differentiated main entries (which would
take up as few as five spaces (including spaces) from field-specific
sub-entries (which could also rank/differentiate lexical norms,
though would be more difficult to standardize. (e.g. To a
neurobiologist, `dendrite' would rank highly with a field-identified
note, but exceedingly low as a general entry in a desk-dictionary-
size edition (perhaps non-existent in a paperback edition). Bold-
facing could accentuate the commonly-used synonyms/definitions when
listing (especially in thesauruses) without using a ranking system.
Bold-facing is sometimes used.
     It is also the reason I mentioned "attending words/particles" –
or in a more general sense, phrasal usage -- as a key component of a
good lexical work. As hard as idioms & jargon are for non-native-
speakers to master, so are the phrasal verbs -- including
prepositional particles. I've observed for many years ESOL students,
and for many years native-speaking secondary students (middle/high
school). Many idioms and many allusions (basic to middle-aged
speakers) are truly "foreign" to both groups. Attending particles are
hardly an issue with native speakers, with basic vocabulary. But
allude to `Ward Cleaver' or `Eddie Haskel' with a youngster, or
ask "Where's the beef?" to a non-native speaker, and their eyes glaze
over. They simply lack the living and reading experiences to know
what they allude to. Particle-usage is not different.
     Repetition is obvious a key to both areas of verbal acquisition,
which is the reason I mentioned listing attending-words along with
the main entry, to give the searchers semi-contextual examples of how
to use the word. I've found that words, per se, rarely function
alone, or can function alone with simple ideas. But they demand
specific particles in communicating more refined academic or
syntactic complexities. Using Rudy's example of `large' versus `big,'
I sifted through my corpus of phrases and came up with a basic list
of attending particles/words. There seem to be few standards to go by
when deciding where a particular particle fits, as each word develops
in its own unique way. The following shows this attending-word-
specific randomness, first with `big' then with `large.' Note that
variations (e.g. "a little frog in a big pond" vs. `a small frog in a
large pond') come from different sources (dictionaries, recordings
from actual conversations). But most are intuitively recognized by
seasoned native speakers as being more, or less, "common." (no
ranking or frequency differentiation has been attempted in listing
these examples)

     a (pretty) big fella/fellow

     a big frog in a small pond
     a large frog in a small pond
     a small frog in a big pond
     a small frog in a large pond
     a little frog in a big pond

     a small cog in a large wheel

     a large number of (something)

     small-scale
     large-scale

     as big as a house
     as big as you please
     as big as all outdoors
     big as all outdoors
     as big as you please
     as big as an elephant
     as big as an ox

     as big as life
     as big as life and twice as ugly
     as big as life and quite as natural

     as large as life
     larger than life

     as big as a barn

     I have put on a few pounds; you are filling out; he is getting
     as big as a house.

     Big deal!
     Big hairy deal!
     What's the big deal?
     a big deal

     not a big deal
     mot that big a deal
     No big deal!
     It's no big deal.
     not that big a deal

     make a big deal out of it/something)
     make too big a deal out of it
     make too big a deal out of (something)

     make a big thing out of it
     make a big thing out of (something)

     no big thing No biggie!
     It's no biggie.
     No big!

     have big bones
     a big-boned (person)
     big-boned

     in a big way
     want n a big way

     win/won in a big wa
     won in a big way
     lose in a big way

     make a big joke out of it

     make a big production out of (something)
     make a big production out of it
     not make a big production out of (it/something)

     someone's eyes are as big as bullets

     the big picture (in the comparative-use `larger picture' seems
more common)
     look at the big picture;
     have to look at the big picture
     miss the big picture

     due in (large) part to (something)

     figure large (in something)
     loom large (on the horizon)

     based to a large degree on (something)

     depend to a large degree on (something)

     in large measure
     due in large measure to (something);

     larger than life
     a larger-than-life (something)
     (as) large as life
     larger than life, and twice as ugly

     bigger than life
     a bigger-than-life (something)

     living large

     writ large

     Mark Twain: The difference between the almost right word and the
right word is really a large matter -- 'tis the difference between
the lightning bug and the lightning.

Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com