[Lexicog] electronic dictionaries

Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak SOBKOW at AMU.EDU.PL
Mon Apr 7 07:41:59 UTC 2008

> Ho Hai Thuy wrote:

> do you think electronic dictionaries will soon
> see their end, because people can install any
> dictionary into their PDA/smartphone at their will,

This brings to the fore the issue of defining "electronic dictionaries".
Most probably, what Ho Hai Thuy had in mind when he said "electronic
dictionaries" was a CD-ROM-format thereof.  Yes, I personally believe these
are on their way out, in favour of both: (a) PDA/Palmtop-based dictionaries,
and (b) first of all -- web-based dictionaries.  The former are more easily
portable than CDs, the latter are bigger and constantly updated.  The
difference between the two, however, will get fuzzier and fuzzier because
PDAs now have enough power and speed to function as web-browsers.  I'm
myself using a htc Advantage X7500, which gives me internet access
(including internet dictionary access) wherever I go.  Plus, I can of
course, should I wish to, download any Windows Mobile dictionary to use
locally.  There's enough memory on the microdrive to hold a hefty one :-)

Best,

WS
prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
School of English