[Lexicog] Using moccasin, canoe or other words with other Native etymology

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Wed Apr 9 03:46:28 UTC 2008

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I can relate to the sentiment of the advisory group.  I¹m also Karuk. We¹re
from Northwestern California, and sometimes it just gets old when you meet
yet another person whose only understanding of anything Native American
comes from the Plains ­ war bonnets, Dances With Wolves, tipis, buffalo.  So
I¹m thinking the idea is to differentiate ourselves from those images as
much as possible.

But when I gave the éeyxuvik definition some thought, and even looked up the
word moccasin on the Merriam Webster website, I thought myself that moccasin
would be an easier word to use, and there is a long history by local tribes
of using the word canoe to describe the boats that we have always bought
from our downriver neighbors, the Yuroks.

Our traditional houses don¹t look anything like tipis, so it would be a
stretch to use the word tipi.  But the old style shoes resemble moccasins,
and our canoes, resemble canoes.

This thread has been helpful. Thanks Ron & Chaz!

Susan Gehr

--
Susan Gehr
Karuk Language Program Director