[Lexicog] Re: Using moccasin, canoe or other words with other Native etymology

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Apr 9 22:36:54 UTC 2008

I have to respectfully digress with Scott and Ron here.  It seems
that there is a general Western conception of dictionary making that
is becoming more prevalent among native communities and I think this
model is amendable to the average working linguist or lexicographer.
Too, as a native linguist, I have seen similar issues in my own
community where speakers feel and view Eng and its borrowings as
inadequate vehicles of meaning.  But I am beginning to think that
this issue may be part of more general intellectual problem.  Native
communities see the creation of dictionaries (or other similar
language-based products) as problems of knowledge.  That is, as
problems of knowledge, they will question the sources from which such
knowledge should derive.  In doing so, they ensure not so much the
accuracy of meaning as the proper forms of understanding or cultural
dispositions which attend to such meanings which are certainly unique
to their experience as indigenous peoples.

In more practical terms, our community has seen the replacement of
traditional technologies with modern forms.  So our term is [waliim-
lapqat] "traditional Nez Perce style [footwear]" where [waliim] is a
noun prefix meaning 'old-style, traditional'.

Keep up the good work Suzanne!

Phil Cash Cash (Cayuse/Nez Perce)
UofA

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com