[Lexicog] Collaborative lexicography software?

Emmanuel HABUMUREMYI emmahab at YAHOO.FR
Wed Apr 30 16:44:39 UTC 2008

You are true Ron. WeSay cannot be compared to Fieldworks or Toolbox. But it is quicker and easy to customize than any other software. Some issues I can consider as shortcomings are:
- Its state of not allowing a collaborative data collection;
- Its status of not allowing people to merge their individual collected words;
Besides, the required Microsoft .Net Framework 3 confuse people who heard about it at the first time.

Emmanuel Habumuremyi
>From Rwanda

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Ronald Moe <ron_moe at sil.org>
À : lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Envoyé le : Mercredi, 30 Avril 2008, 18h07mn 16s
Objet : RE: [Lexicog]  Collaborative lexicography software?

I’m not a member of the WeSay team
and can only give my impressions of what they are trying to accomplish. WeSay
is currently being developed by SIL as a tool to support non-linguists who wish
to help in the development of a dictionary for their language. It is designed
to require very little in the way of computer skills or knowledge of
linguistics or lexicography. It is also designed to run on rugged portable
machines that could be operated in environments where there is no internet or
even electricity. The idea is that someone could be trained to work on a
particular task such as collecting words or glossing words in the national
language. Their work could be in support of a larger project which is being
managed in a central location. So their work could be integrated into a master
database maintained at “project headquarters”. WeSay could be set
up on multiple (handheld or laptop) computers and operated by a group of “field
workers” who would all be working simultaneously on the same dictionary. I
believe this could be a very useful approach in minority language situations
where the community wishes to be involved or where multiple researchers are
working on the data and cannot always be connected via the internet or a
network. However the program has not yet been released in version 1. It is
still under development and being field tested. Their website has more
information.

Ron Moe
SIL International