[Lexicog] open eyes

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Feb 4 08:21:28 UTC 2008

Wayne,
	The expression is certainly used in English for addressing
metaphorical blindness.

	Here's an excerpt from one of the twenty or so songs entitled
"Open your eyes". This one is by the punk band NOFX. (I don't listen
to this stuff at all, but it was the first really clear example out
of the 5.5 million hits when I googled "open your eyes".)

At first I thought you were dead
But now i see that you're wanted dead
Something I did, and they say yeah yeah
Blank gen, blank gen(eration)
Open your eyes
Open your eyes
Can't you see what's going on
Open your eyes
Open your eyes
Can't you see what's going wrong
Open your eyes
Well they tell you lies and you sing along
Open your eyes
Well they tell you lies and you sing along
      etc., etc.

	But I also think you're right that it can't refer to the
correction of literal blindness in English.

Rich

At 10:39 PM -0800 2/3/08, Wayne Leman wrote:
>Is the collocation "open eyes" ever used in any standard dialect of English
>for a meaning other than 'to open one's eyelids" (e.g. upon waking up from
>sleep)?
>
>I am particularly interested to know if a literal translation of the
>Hebraism "open eyes", meaning 'regain eyesight', is ever used in any
>standard dialect of English?
>
>Thanks,
>Wayne
>-----