[Lexicog] open eyes

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Feb 4 16:27:00 UTC 2008

Thanks, Dick. Yes, native English speakers do use "open eyes" in the
metaphorical sense you note. But per my original questions, does standard
(natural) English(es) ever use "open eyes" in the ways that Joseph notes it
used in the KJV, which is a literal translation of a Semiticism? I'm
thinking that no native speaker of English uses "open eyes" to refer to eyes
being restored, other than in the case of the loan translation found in
English Bibles translated from Biblical Hebrew and Semiticisms in
Hellenistic Greek. But I'm not sure. That's why I need to ask.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne dictionary online:
http://cheyenne.110mb.com

>Wayne Leman wrote:
> Is the collocation "open eyes" ever used in any standard dialect of
> English
> for a meaning other than 'to open one's eyelids" (e.g. upon waking up from
> sleep)?
>
> I am particularly interested to know if a literal translation of the
> Hebraism "open eyes", meaning 'regain eyesight', is ever used in any
> standard dialect of English?
> Wayne,
Hi Wayne,
I really had my eyes opened on that topic--(not that I was blind to it, but)
I just hadn't thought that much about it.
Dick

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com