[Lexicog] yoked

Greg and Heather Mellow gh_mellow at SIL.ORG
Tue Jan 1 02:21:31 UTC 2008

Happy New Year Everybody.

Last week I half heard a word that describes the grammatical construction whereby two parts of a sentance are joined by a verb or a noun.

For example, "She raised her eyes and his hopes."

It is understood that both her eyes and his hopes were raised, and of course the witty element in this example is that 'raised' is applied in a physical sense to the first part, and is a component of an idiomatic expression "to raise one's hopes" in the second part.

My question is, "Is there a word that describes this sort of linking?"

I believe the word I half heard starts with zygo-, from the Greek, meaning yoke.

On the other hand perhaps it was all a joke, although the radio host had a large number of clever examples.

Regards, Greg